Podcast: Play in new window | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Android | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | Podchaser | TuneIn | RSS
Sarah Edmondson and Nippy Ames are subjects of HBO’s documentary series The Vow, a story of indoctrination and exposing the NXIVM cult, and hosts of the podcast A Little Bit Culty.
I am delighted to have Sarah and Nippy join me for a “part 2” conversation that begins on A Little Bit Culty today!
One of my goals is that both of our extreme experiences be relatable to new age and self help consumers. Take away the branding and sex trafficking of NXIVM, and the head shaving and fatal sweat lodge of my experience, and what remains is a seemingly regular self help organization. Maybe it is. Maybe it’s a cult. Maybe it’s both.
One thing is certain: Our hindsight can become your foresight.
Listen as we explore sales and recruitment tactics, coercion, the mind-fuck of “at-causedness,” and “the NXIVM flip,” which you’ll find everywhere in new age and self help circles, masquerading as personal responsibility and looking to yourself as the creator of everything in your life, including narcissistic and cult abuse.
Sarah Edmondson is a Canadian actress who has stared in the CBS series Salvation and more than twelve films for the Hallmark Channel and Lifetime. In 2019, Sarah published Scarred: The True Story of How I Escaped NXIVM, the Cult that Bound My Life.
Nippy Ames has come full circle back to what he was born to do: performing, creating, and truth telling. He’s proving to be an emerging voice in the conversation around what it means to be an upstanding man, husband, and father in 2021.
Sarah and Nippy discuss their healing process with the help of experts and fellow survivors on their podcast A Little Bit Culty.
Mentioned in this episode:
2 ways to win Sarah’s memoir:
- Write a review of Free Your Inner Guru – quick links here: freeyourinnerguru.com/review
- Become a Patreon supporter at patreon.com/freeyourinnerguru
Draw to be held on Instagram Live – December 30 at noon ET
- Scarred: The True Story of How I Escaped NXIVM, the Cult that Bound My Life, Sarah Edmondson
- Take Back Your Life: Recovering from Cults and Abusive Relationships, Janja Lalich
- Don’t Call It a Cult, Sarah Berman
Connect with Sarah and Nippy online:
- Podcast & website: A Little Bit Culty
- Instagram – @alittlebitculty @sarahedmondson @anthonyames11
Connect with Free Your Inner Guru:
- Become a Patreon Supporter – patreon.com/freeyourinnerguru
- Join the Leadership Community – freeyourinnerguru.com/community
- Shop the merchandise – freeyourinnerguru.com/shop
Leave a Reply