Dr Stuart Eisendrath is the author of When Antidepressants Aren’t Enough: Harnessing the Power of Mindfulness to Alleviate Depression and the founding director of the University of California San Francisco Depression Center.
“One of the most important ingredients in self compassion is realizing that you are part of a large community. So if you’re suffering from depression, you’re not alone. It’s not a strange or unique illness. That’s not to say it’s not a painful condition. Many people are suffering from it. And there is no need to be harsh and critical of yourself for having a condition that is so common in the world.” – Dr Stuart Eisendrath
A senior clinician and research psychiatrist at UCSF, Dr Eisendrath’s lectures on mindfulness-based cognitive therapy have been viewed more than 1.5 million times.
We take on some serious topics in this interview, and you may find that I am more subdued than usual. There were a couple of things going on! I was a little intimidated, but even more so, I was also reflecting on the people in my life who suffer and are suffering with depression, and my own struggles with it. This gave me extra incentive to mine Dr Eisendrath’s experience and vast knowledge. It was a pleasure and a privilege, and I’m delighted to share this conversation with you.
- How Dr Eisendrath’s interest in depression evolved into mindfulness based cognitive therapy (MBCT).
- The epidemic level occurence of depression.
- The difference between cognitive therapy and mindfulness therapy.
- How mindfulness helps with depression.
- How do distinguish between inappropriate depressive guilt and appropriate guilt.
- A formula for happiness, and how depression skews the formula against you.
- How self compassion helps you recognize you are part of common humanity.
- Why brooding, a type of rumination, is a big driver of depression.
- How depression and MBCT alter your brain.
- Suicide – feeling helpless and hopeless
- Alternatives and hope when antidepressants don’t work.
- What to do if and who to call if you need help.***
Mentioned in this episode
Website for accompanying meditations – stuarteisendrath.com
***The information in this podcast is not a substitute for help from a licensed mental health professional. If you are in crisis, links to hotline numbers around the world are listed below.
United States – Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Want more conscious conversations in your life?
Support the podcast and join the Free Your Inner Guru® Leadership Community at patreon.com/freeyourinnerguru