K A Tucker writes captivating stories with an edge.
K A Tucker has published 31 books and is the internationally bestselling author of the Ten Tiny Breaths and Burying Water series, He Will Be My Ruin, Until It Fades, Keep Her Safe, The Simple Wild, Be the Girl, and Say You Still Love Me. Her books have been featured in national publications including USA Today, Globe & Mail, Suspense Magazine, Publisher’s Weekly, Oprah Mag, and First for Women. She has been nominated for the Goodreads Choice Award for Best Romance 2013 for TEN TINY BREATHS and Best Romance 2018 for THE SIMPLE WILD. KEEP HER SAFE made Suspense Magazine’s Best of 2018 list for Romantic Suspense.
While her success as an author is impressive, K.A. is also a fierce advocate for children with autism and human rights.
Kathleen also happens to be my sister-in-law.
Every now and then we’d be talking life, and business, and I’d say something like “you should come on the podcast.”
Well, we finally made that happen this past summer just as she was in the middle of a book launch. And guess what? She’s in the middle of another one now.
Since we recorded in the summer, there’s been a few updates that I’ll give you at the end. Because, well, she’s prolific in her craft. In the meantime, enjoy this conversation that alternates between all-business and two sisters-in-law having a laugh, mostly at ourselves. And a little bit at each other.
- Kathleen shares what it was like to start writing on maternity leave, and continue while parenting two children with very different needs.
- Transition from corporate career to full time author.
- Genre switching – from Young Adult Fantasy to Contemporary Romance.
- The business of being an author.
- From self publishing to publisher contract to self publishing.
- Deadlines and motivation, writing with a gun to your head.
- Building the writing muscle and finding rhythm.
- Balancing creativity with the left brain activities of the business.
- Having a voice on issues vs keeping your opinion to yourself as a creative and public figure.
- Impact of the pandemic on fiction writing.
- Delayed gratification and grey hair.
- On self care, self forgiveness, and giving yourself grace.
Mentioned in this episode:
Website – katuckerbooks.com
The Simple Wild Series:
Free Your Inner Guru® Episode 67 with Charles Wilson
Laura’s Instagram – @lauraatucker
Want more conscious conversations in your life?
Support the podcast and join the Free Your Inner Guru® Leadership Community at freeyourinnerguru.com/leadership-community.