Paria Hassouri is an Iranian American mother of three, pediatrician, and transgender rights activist.
Paria Hassouri’s memoir Found in Transition: A Mother’s Evolution During Her Child’s Gender Change begins in 2017, when she first learns that her fourteen year old is having gender dysphoria, and concludes in 2018 when her daughter Ava legally changed her name and gender.
In this compelling conversation, Paria Hassouri opens up and shares her journey from grieving the vision of the child she always had to becoming an activist for transgender rights.
- How Paria’s childhood struggle with being bullied for being Iranian American had an impact on her fears for Ava.
- Why she wrote all the things many parents in her situation also experience and wouldn’t dare to say.
- How Ava’s gender dysphoria caused her to question her own identity as a mother.
- What Dr Paria Hassouri, MD has learned about gender dysphoria and how it is reflected in her pediatric practice.
- How Ava, Paria and the Hassouri family are doing at the time of recording and a recent update about Ava’s exciting future.
Memorable quotes from Paria Hassouri
“This is a story about a family with a trans kid. But really, it’s a story about a family.”
“Don’t underestimate your power to evolve and change.”
“A big part of my evolution during this process was accepting and being proud of who I am as I am. I learned that because I watched my daughter be proud of who she is.”
Mentioned in this episode
Connect with Paria online
Connect with Free Your Inner Guru online
- Join our Leadership Community Huddle! Live conversation twice a month on Zoom, and full access to our Discourse community.
Become a podcast supporter:
- Support the podcast on Patreon
- or shop the fun new hoodies, t-shirts and sustainably printed notebooks. (Use LAUNCH15 at checkout for 15% savings.)